Monday, October 5, 2009

Water and the Road Unintentionally Taken

This past weekend I spent the rare lovely days of Fall outside by hiking and metal detecting. At a house I had hoped would yield some silver coins, I only managed to pull some pennies from the 70s and 60s... To cheer myself up, I took a hike behind my residence hall, and marveled at the emerging fall color. The maples in their reds, yellows, and oranges, and the sourwood in their vivid red livened up the forest, dotting the mountains like beacons.
Then, to tie in my new duty to a sustainable life, I did my laundry. One might be thinking, how is doing the laundry sustainable? And the answer is: By waiting for the full load! You see, I let it go for a few days longer than I normally do, and so, I was saving water by doing a fuller load now, than a regular load later. I also have been monitoring my shower length; by cutting a minute or two off of the entire time, I can save around 5 gallons of water per minute taken off. That would average out to around 1500 gallons a year!
On Sunday, I took a 6 hour hike with one of my friends to Hebron and the Flat Top Mountain Home. The vistas were great and the colors still like they were from Saturday. We hiked a total of 5 miles...even though we didn't mean to. It was quite a workout, but definitely well worth it! Here are some photos from our journey:


2 comments:

  1. I love the one with white land-like forms and a leaf, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, those are bubbles at Hebron in the water, and it is a leaf!

    ReplyDelete