Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sustainability Plan

Personal Sustainability Plan
· Over the course of the semester, I will minimize my usage of cardboard cups, and instead use the glass cups provided by the cafeteria.
· I will also become more selective in the products I purchase at local stores. In Earth Fare, I might look for brands of food advertising their commitment to sustainability, such as Back to Nature, which prints on 100% recycled paperboard and utilizes inks made from vegetables.
· I am also conscious of the energy my residence hall puts out, so to reduce the cost/electricity usage, I leave the window open at night, allowing the cool air to come in, so that the AC unit stays dormant.
· Other purchases besides food are important to monitor as well; for instance, stores such as the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and Habitat for Humanity provide items of clothing, furniture, and housewares that are fully functional, and at a good price. By circulating these “Trash-to-Treasure” finds, not only does an individual save money on normally expensive articles, but they save extra packaging of goods and the items themselves that could have been sent to a landfill instead.
· When spring rolls around, I will find a plot of land to farm and grow my own herbs, vegetables, and fruits, so that gas and labor spent on harvesting and importing other fruit will be diminished.
· And most importantly, I will promote these habits throughout the community by example and education, so that others can lead a sustainable lifestyle, and through working together, we can make this world a better place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment