Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor Day Weekend










For Labor Day, after a four hour drive due to misguided thinking, I was finally able to spend time with my family and relax. On saturday, I spent the day making paper with my mom. That was a blast because I'm making a black waffle clock, based on my metal detecting finds, for my dorm room. It should be nice and dry by fall break, so I'm excited to finish that!








On Sunday, I went with my parents to the Apple Festival in Hendersonville, NC. There, we got to see a great Jazz ensemble of retirees, and we also met up with my aunt and uncle from Spartanburg, SC. The air was filled with the smell of apple fritters and and spiced apple slushes as we paroosed the streets of Hendersonville. I found an apple baking dish that I really liked, from one of the historic makers of North Carolina potters. What you do to prepare the apple is to core it, and place it on the spindle in the middle of the bowl. Then, you can add whatever you want to the dish: cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, butter, brown sugar, blueberries, filo dough, the possibilities are endless! Then, after this step, you bake it in the oven. So, as you can tell, I'm really excited about making something in this dish.








On Labor Day, we went hiking at Black Balsam to pick blueberries. That was amazing like always! Venturing away from the well picked beaten path, we discovered a wonderful patch, or group of patches, that were unpicked, and just waiting for our eager fingers to pick the juicy berries. After spending a good while picking, we got around 1 1/2 gallons, all told. Hiking out, we got to see nature's bounty flourish right in front of our eyes because of a burst of rain. This was a beautiful way to end my weekend break from the hustle and bustle of college life, and nature did a wonderful way of sending me off:










No comments:

Post a Comment