Monday, November 23, 2009

The 5lb Chunk of Halite and Four Plates of Turkey

Well the weather up here in Boone has been pretty miserable lately, so detecting has been out of the question. However, we did have a couple of nice days, one of them being the last home game of the season. We played Western Carolina and beat them (Did I really just have to say we beat them? We have now for the past 8 years!) 19-14, and that stadium was full!

Earlier that day I went down King Street looking in shops for P-R-E-S-E-N-T-S...and I stumbled into The Looking Glass. This is a neat little shop with rocks from everywhere, and so I paroosed the shelves, marveling at all of the neat crystals, fossils, and minerals. One that especially caught my eye was what I believed to be Rose Quartz, with a lightbulb inside. As it turned out, it was Halite, or salt, and as the light heated it up, it purified the air! So, trying to rid my room of any VOCs, I decided to buy it. It was a very reasonable $18, so I didn't mind. It has a beautiful orange glow to it, and makes the room look really neat at night. Here is an okay shot of it, I will try to get another up of when it isn't lit up so that you can see more detail.





Then, Sunday, I participated in a sustainable and not so sustainable activity. We were green by carpooling to this event. It was a turkey dinner at a friend of mine's church. The deal was to bake something, and bring it to share, so basically the function was a massive pot luck Thanksgiving! Yum! While there I ate three plates of every part of a Thanksgiving meal you can imagine, and stuffed to the brim, came back to Frank. I don't consider this event sustainable because of eating lots of meat high up on the energy pyramid, but they were recycling, on a better note. Maybe for Christmas I can get my family to have a sustainable meal by buying all food locally, and supporting free range turkeys. (Happy Meat) So, after our massive dinner at the church, we came back to our turkey.

Now, you may be wondering why our turkey didn't make it to the function, and here's the tale: We went out and got a turkey earlier in the week and put it in the freezer downstairs. Then, a few days later, we checked and the turkey was gone! Who manages to steal a 13 lb turkey, in the middle of a college dorm?? So, we went back and got another turkey, and tried to defrost it in time to take it to the church. However, this was not feasible, so we cooked this turkey, and had our 2nd Thanksgiving at 11:00. Needless to say, I was completely stuffed...but waking up this morning I was ravenous! :^D Well, that's pretty much it from the land of rain and snow! Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Nice Halite Ashby,

    I love those Mountain mineral shops. Have you noticed a difference in the air quality of your room? Regardless that is one cool piece.

    Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving.
    CB
    PS I found a drained lake with a swimming hole while I was up! Only had a few minutes to to hunt but I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christian...see you got yourself a picture! I guess the air quality is better, regardless, it looks nice! :D

    Woa, woa, woa, woa, woa! Do I see the words "drained" "swimming" "hole"? Any good finds? Tell me more on FMDF messages!

    ReplyDelete