Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Playing "Catch" with My Dear Friend "Up"

Please excuse my leave of absence, I was walking along one day and all of a sudden the Pig hit me. I came down with a nasty case of H1N1, and then it transitioned into Lower Left Lung Pneumonia. Needless to say, this left me out of action for a week, running my temperature up to 103 while I lay pitifully on the couch. However, before I knew that I had H1N1, I had an Eagle Ceremony to pull off; so, putting my best face forward, I went through the ceremony while trying to stand up. This was a great hit and everyone enjoyed it very much. Even though I attained my rank back in August, this was the final piece of the puzzle that had to be snapped in for it to fully register to me that I was indeed an Eagle Scout.

Green activities I inadvertently participated in during my ailment included saving water, electricity, and overall energy in general. I took a shower every other night, saving water, I wore only a couple pairs of clothes the entire time, and I didn't turn on very many lights as I was situated right next to a southeast window, I had plenty of it provided for me. Also, during my better days down in Asheville, I went to Earth Fare where I got a pair of Canvas Bags to take to the stores whenever I stock up on fruit and snacks.

Another way I displayed my "greenness" (Other than in my face) was through the purchase of a used coil for my metal detector. Rather than buying a brand new one for $119.99, I found a member on the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum that had one he was willing to sell for just shipping! Today I went and tried the coil out and it performs great! This small 5.3" Coil is great for trashy areas, and numerous times I was able to cherry pick a penny or dime from right beside a piece of trash, whereas on the 10" Stock Coil, the good target would most likely have been masked. All in all, I got .86 cents today, not bad for the combinations of coins that I found. So, other than making up all this work for my professors, my life has been getting better since last week! :^D Happy Hunting!

2 comments: