Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pulaski's, Roots, and an Encore!

Well this weekend I joined five other members of the Living Green Community to go out and re-route a leg of the Appalachian Trail. We went out at 8, armed with Pulaski's, Shovels, Fireman's Rakes, Hoes, Loppers, and determination; arriving at the site, the directors told us that the old leg of the trail was too steep and dangerous anymore for backpackers, so we were going to make another way around the mountain, following the contour of the topography a little more. At first, the going was slow and tough, but soon things picked up and by 12 we were all ready for a break! The side I was on was right in the middle of a Rhododendron Hell, and plenty of jokes were made...(This stuff guards the gates down there....and since everything is engulfed in flames, guess what the fumes are, toxic!) :^D The roots were a pain to dig through, but we just had to keep reminding ourselves that there were no rocks!




By 3, our side had completed 100 something feet of the trail, with the other side completing 200+ feet, (They were on the flat side). All totaled we had 380ft of new AT! This part of the AT was very beautiful, following Watauga Lake for a little bit. I'm definitely considering going back, there are a couple of old homesteads in the woods, as well as campsites and shelters for a good backpacking trip!

Then, today, (A little tired) I set out in search of some arrowheads that a friend told me about. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any; I really wish I lived out in Missouri or the Southwest! So I then ventured over to another lake that had a swimming area and sandy beach. In less than 2 hours, I pulled 104 coins for a total of $3.21. I consider this my encore for last week. Do I see another, next week......? We'll find out!

4 comments:

  1. Wow,
    Nice work on the AT Ashby, what a privilege to be doing work like that in such a beautiful location.
    Congrats and thanks to everyone who help preserve and maintain such a valuable resource.

    Hey,
    Let me know when you go "camping" around those old homesteads. Maybe I find the time to join you ;)

    Crazy coinage!!
    The odds are in your favor for some gold.
    Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Christian! It was a wonderful day, and even though we had the tough side, it was in the shade! I'll definitely let you know if/when I go camping...bring a few rods, the fish bite! I know, 16 nickels and no gold...maybe in the park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Ashby,

    Good job on the AT! I can't imagine how tough those roots were.

    Here's a link to another blog whose post is about jazz.
    http://pfeifferphotos.blogspot.com/2009/11/jazz-thinking-mans-music.html

    Happy hunting!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the new blog! I need to try and get some followers...especially with the end of the semester near, so I can fully transform to a metal detecting blog!

    ReplyDelete