Monday, November 9, 2009

Latest Metal Detecting Trip tied in with Green Activity

Well, yesterday afternoon, I decided to take off for a little bit to go hunt a new park I've found that is HUGE! I mean, this place is everything from a greenway, to a sports complex, to a tot lot extravaganza! This place is literally teeming with people losing money/jewelry. So, I pulled out my 5.3" coil, thinking there would be quite a lot of trashy signals amongst the goodies, but I was pleasantly surprised. I actually ended up switching back to the stock coil to cover more ground.
So, my total take was $5.05, my new highest amount of money collected in one hunt, about 3 hours. My area is not very populated, so this is good for me! Then, contributing to this total, was my other first--a dollar coin! A 2000 D Sacajawea Dollar coin coming in at a solid +86 VDI on the trusty M6.

Then, as I headed out of the park, I wanted one more good target, and Gollum nearly tackled me as I removed this from the ground:


You see, this was the one that was thrown into the volcano, but actually survived the magma, and ended up in my park! :^D


Well, determined to break my new record of $5.05 from Friday, I headed out this morning at 7:30 to the same park and hunted for two hours, getting just over $2.00. This is where I found the watch, button, and Civil War musket ball?...this is a pretty historic area, but seeing as the park itself is modern, I was pretty surprised to pull it out of the ground at only two inches! So, after taking a lunch break at Subway, I headed off to a nearby town that was established in 1889 and found their City Park, right smack in the middle of everything. (Definition of Everything: In 2008, The town's population was 1490) Since this park was amidst all the action, all the action enjoyed watching me and whispering...for those that were courageous enough to come up to talk to me, (I bite) I gladly showed them my finds and explained just what exactly a METAL Detector finds. There was the occasional nutjob, but for the most part, these folks were wonderful people. Anyway, blah, blah, blah, longer story somewhat shorter, I found 100 coins (My first 100 coin day!!) totaling $6.27! Thanks for looking!
So, my green tact on all of this was that I removed quite a bit of trash from the ground. I don't know what happens to the surrounding soil in an environment where there is quite a bit of metallic trash, but it can't be good!
The main, long term green activity I wanted to point out was my step towards saving cups at the local coffee shop, BeansTalk. In an effort to cut down on their "To Go" cups of coffee, this shop is encouraging customers to either use one of their regular mugs, or bring their own. So, washing out one of mine, I went over last night and gathered 'round the laptop with a nice mug of Colombian coffee for .40 cents less than what everyone else would have to pay. Winter here I come, I'm set!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashby,
    Awsome hunt!! Looks like you found a honey hole;)
    I'll be up for Thanksgiving. If you're around lets hook up and find some stuff. I just hope we don't dig up another twelve pack we have to carry a mile to a trash can. What kind of people do that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I sure hope we don't find one...expecially in the dirt, that would definitely be harder to take out than in a foot of sand! Unfortunately I'll be back in Asheville for Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete